Saturday, June 9, 2012

La Coquiña Linda

Today is the day I decided to use the pineapple infused vodka. The vodka took on a faint yellow color and had a very fragrant aroma to it. It's aroma wasn't as strong as pineapple juice but not subtle in the least. After I strained it out and poured it into my fancy schmancy glass bottle, I wondered what can I pair the pineapple vodka with. After a few seconds one logical matchup came to mind: Coconut. Since we're approaching summertime, what better than to have a "Coco-Piña-ish" cocktail on a hot summer day. What I came up is something I'll call La Coquiña Linda. Here is the initial recipe I came up with.

La Coquiña Linda (First Attempt)
3 oz. Pineapple infused vodka
.5 oz. Triple Sec
1.5 oz. Organic Coconut Water
1.5 oz. Coco Lopez Coconut Milk
ground Cinnamon for garnish

Add all ingredients (except Cinnamon) in shaker. Shake vigorously and pour into chilled cocktail glass. Shake ground cinnamon on the top of the cocktail.

The drink came out nice and light and according to Momma-San it was somewhat bland and not sweet enough. She said she was making the connection between this drink and the Coquito that is usually served during the holidays which is thicker and sweeter. Since Momma-San has sugar issues, I used the unsweetened Coconut milk rather than the sweetened Cream of coconut that is used for Piña coladas. I have to admit that I found it to be lacking something. So back to the drawing board I went a-la Wile E. Coyote.

The second time around I though to myself: How can I ramp up the sweetness factor without changing the basic look and feel to the cocktail. I had my a-ha moment and here is what I came up with for the second try:

La Coquiña Linda (Final Attempt)
3 oz. Pineapple infused vodka
1 oz. Triple Sec
1 oz. Organic Coconut Water
.5 oz Coco Lopez Coconut Milk
.5 oz Simple Syrup
ground Cinnamon for garnish

Add all ingredients (except Cinnamon) in shaker. Shake vigorously and pour into chilled cocktail glass. Shake ground cinnamon on the top of the cocktail.

This time the cocktail was definitely sweeter without losing its consistency. Momma-San found this one to be much more to what she was expecting to taste. The pineapple taste is subtle hiding out behind the coconut. The cinnamon gives it a nice sharp texture both in flavor and feel. I'm satisfied with the way the second cocktail came out.

Any suggestions on how I can improve this cocktail? Feel free. I look forward to any and all suggestions.

Until Then, Happy Drinking
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment