Friday, March 28, 2014

Orange and Citrus Vodka Infusion Part I

Since the Spring weather is trying its hardest to poke out through the entrenched winter, I've decided to whip up an Orange/Citrus Vodka infusion to try and bring some sunshine into my upcoming cocktails. I didn't measure out how much vodka I used, but I used a at least three cups of vodka and dropped in a bunch of mandarin, tangerine, lemon, ruby red grapefruit and orange peels (without the piths) into the vodka and let it infuse for about three weeks.

It had a very nice orange color to it but I found that at first taste, it was very bitter. I strained out the old peels and added the peels of three Sunkist oranges let it sit for another two weeks. After tasting it again, I found it not to be as bitter as before. Now here is my dilemma. Do I want a sweet Orange/Citrus Vodka Infusion or do I want to leave it as is? Well, lucky for me, I can choose to do both.

I've decided to fully strain out the Sunkist Orange peels. Take the infusion and split it in two.

One will remain as is and the other will be sweetened. On a side note, I also took out a very small amount, placed it in a separate jar with a peel of a Sunkist Orange and a .375 oz square of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate 60% Cacao. I'll go into more detail on this one in a separate post.

For the next post, I'll show what both batches look like side-by-side and how each one tastes.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies


No comments:

Post a Comment