Sunday, May 4, 2014

Martí Mojito Mix at Bailey's Corner Pub

As per custom when I visit Pete at Bailey's Corner Pub (1607 York Ave, New York, NY 10028
212-650-1341), he let's me have a little taste the new stuff. First he offered me a taste of the Mezcal Joven by Illegal Mezcal. Unknown to him, I had just had a shot of said Mezcal that I will mention in a future post. The then brings over a bottle with the name of Martí Mojito Mix. Now I have had a brief experience with a Mojito Mix before.

I posted about the Mojito Club at Willie's Steakhouse from September 28, 2013 which seemed to not be impressive to the bartender to let me have a taste of. Well, this time I had Pete give me a small taste of it. Before I go into what I thought about it, here is how the Martí Mojito Mix is described on the Chatham Imports website:
Martí Mojito
An ultra-premium Cuban-Style lime and mint rum. Crafted in consultation with a respected master distiller in the tradition of pre-Castro Cuban rums from the late 1950’s, Martí Mojito takes its flavors from Caribbean lime and a distinctive mint similar to the fabled hierba buena mint of Cuba. The fruity mint mixture is combined with flavorful West Indian rum.

Named after beloved Cuban patriot Jose Martí, Martí Mojito represents the essence of Cuba – rich and exotic. Savor Martí neat, on the rocks, or as is the custom in Havana, in a Mojito, or mixed with a variety of juices and other spirits.
Well ok, based on that, all I have to say is that this product is god awful. I know Mojitos are a pain in the ass to make especially if you have a busy bar four to five deep. To make matters worse the orders for the Mojitos seem to be self replicating when one person orders one and everyone notices. But if you're not going to make a Mojito the old fashioned way, don't bother making one with the Martí Mojito. It's just not worth it.

It tasted like a mix between the blue colored mint listerine and cough medicine and had a sickly sweet aroma to it. If it wouldn't have been rude of me to spit it out on the bar, I would have. But as the gentleman that I am, I pushed it down with the beer that I had in front of me.

I can only imagine the curses that would come out of La Bodeguita Del Medio in Havana, Cuba if they ever got a hold of this product. I'm sure that someone out there loves this and more power to them if they do. Hands down, I wouldn't serve this to my worst customer.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies

No comments:

Post a Comment