Monday, May 28, 2018

SiscoVanilla Has a Harvey Wallbanger Part I


Here's part two of my journey to the decade that I was born: The Seventies, as part of the Old Man Drinks cocktail challenge. As with my last post SiscoVanilla Has a Tequila Sunrise, I decided to focus on a cocktail that saw its heyday during the disco era: The Harvey Wallbanger.

Now I was too young to even know about the Harvey Wallbanger character, but according to cocktail history Harvey Wallbanger (the cartoon character) was created by ad-man Bill Young with the tagline “My name is Harvey, and I can be made.” Now the mythology on the name Harvey Wallbanger varies depending on the source.

The Old Man Drinks author Robert Schnakenberg states that the drink was created in 1952 by Los Angeles bartender Donato "Duke" Antone (who came up with such famous drinks as the Rusty Nail, the White Russian and the Godfather) at Duke's "Blackwatch" Bar on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.  Antone apparently named it after a drunk customer and surfer Tom Harvey who kept banging into the walls after having a few too many drinks. Sounds legit. Right? Well, it might not be so cut and dry.

According to the article How Three Classic Cocktails Got Their Names by Sam Dangremond from Town and Country dated July 20, 2015 Antone did create a cocktail known as the Duke's Screwdriver which had the same ingredients as the Harvey Wallbanger, I'll get back to this point in a few paragraphs. Until then, here's another story.

According to the article How the Harvey Wallbanger nearly killed the craft of cocktail making by Amy Zavatto of Fox News dated August 23, 2013:

Legend has it that a 1950s California surfer favored the drink and, one day after losing a pivotal surfing contest, walked into his usual Manhattan Beach watering hole, ordered his drink, and banged his head against the wall from the agony of defeat. His name was Harvey – and there you have it.
Ok. Now perhaps here is the true story. Robert Simonson in his December 14, 2012 article for Savuer entitled Searching for Harvey Wallbanger states that while Antone might have come up with the concept of what would become the Harvey Wallbanger aka the Duke's Screwdriver, credit for the name and character most likely belongs to McKesson Imports Co. McKesson Imports Co., was the company that represented Galliano here in the United States. With Galliano being one of ingredients in the Harvey Wallbanger, they decided to create the mascot and advertise the drink. It worked...to the tune of Galliano becoming the number one most imported liqueur at the time.

Regardless of the history, let's get to the cocktail itself.


As you can see from the image, I made the Harvey Wallbanger with Tito's Vodka, Orange Juice and Galliano. Here is where I screwed up. I didn't follow my advice from last post which was to use freshly squeezed juice whenever possible. I used store bought orange juice and to be honest, while there was a little added sweetness to it than with your standard screwdriver I couldn't tell if the cocktail had any Galliano. So the jury is still out on the Harvey Wallbanger until I can make another one using freshly squeezed orange juice. 

Here are my impressions on the drink upon tasting it:


I'll get back to Harvey soon enough. I also have a side post on Galliano itself coming up. Keep an eye out for it.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies
#SiscoVanillaAtTheBookstore
#SiscoVanillaisStepping

No comments:

Post a Comment