Friday, October 4, 2019

La Cerveza Polar de la Cervercería Polar and Florida Brewery October 4, 2019

Hey Peeps!!!! This past weekend I went to visit my mom in Astoria with the kids and as I was out buying a couple of things that she needed, I popped into the Arepas Grill Restaurant (21-19 Broadway, Astoria, NY (718) 355-9686.) I noticed in the window that they were advertising Cerveza Polar. Since I had never had that particular beer, I jumped at the chance to try a new brewski.


The political climate in Venezuela these days makes it hard to find authentic Venezuelan products from South America. Why do I mention this? Though the lineage of la Cerveza Polar can be traced to Empresas Polar which owns La Cervecería Polar, C.A. (the largest brewery in the country) founded in Caracas since 1941. Now it isn't uncommon that an international beer is brewed in another country for that market. The label to the bottle of beer I had stated that the beer was brewed by the Florida Brewery located in Auburndale, Florida. So the question I have is this: is this beer Venezuelan, a Venezuelan beer made in the United States or a totally different beer brewed with the Polar Pilsen name? I found an article that I believed sheds light on this. According to the article Florida Brewery, known for popular Polar pilsner, cashing in on craft beer craze with opening of new tap room in Auburndale by Eric Pera from the Ledger dated January 17, 2019: 
The Florida Brewery, best known for its Polar pilsner, will throw open its doors to the public on a weekly basis beginning Saturday, inviting guests to sample its core product along with a growing line of craft brews. Opened in 1973 as Duncan Brewing Co., Florida Brewery is now a subsidiary of Cervecería Polar C.A., and its parent, Empresas Polar, a Venezuelan food and beverage producer.
Well ok then. That settles that question. On to the beer.


The website for the Florida Brewery describes the Polar Pilsen as follows:
Tropical characteristics of a Pilsner style blonde beer that has been adapted for warmer climates. It is light bodied with high drinkability which is why it has lasted the tests of time and has been a beer of choice since 1941!
Clocking in at an 4.5 ABV and an 18 IBU, I found this beer to be a very crisp, clean and tasty pilsner. And it was nice and cold to boot. I can see how this beer is a nice beach and park sipper in the tropical climates of South America, the Caribbean and Florida. To see more of what I thought of it, check out the post SiscoVanilla Has A Polar Pilsen at Arepas Grill 09-29-2019 on my IG-TV channel

For my next post, I'll move west on the South American map to shed light on la Cerveza Aguila from Colombia. 

Until Then Happy Drinking,
SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment