Monday, July 27, 2020

What is Clove Liqueur July 27, 2020

Hey peeps. What's up. I hope everyone is safe and healthy. I was recently watching an episode of Chopped on Food Network and for those of you who aren't familiar with that show, chefs are given a basket with secret ingredients and they are to make a meal with the ingredients. In this episode, one of the ingredients was Clove Liqueur. 


What is Clove Liqueur? Great question. Aside from the obvious answer of a Liqueur made with Cloves, I have no idea. For me the thought of cloves invokes Christmas, winter and the allure of Hot Toddys. But Googling "Clove Liqueur" doesn't give an exact answer.

One recipe entitled DIY Orange and Clove Liqueur from the Hallmark Channel website. The liqueur is made with brandy and sugar with a suspended orange poked with cloves. This method is similar to how Limoncello is made by having the oils from citrus naturally drip over time into the brandy and sugar mixture. Very interesting method of infusion. 

I also came across liqueur type generally known as Tentura which is a based on the kind of liqueur that is traditionally made in the Greek city of Patras. Cinnamon, cloves, citrus and nutmeg are some of the common spices used for infusion. As with the above recipe, Brandy is the common spirit used for infusing through if you were to make your own, any spirit of your choosing would do. I've infused rum with similar spices to make a spice rum and I've also infused an unfiltered apple cider with cloves and other spices. 

I'll keep looking out for Clove Liqueur in my travels. Anyone ever drink some? Let me know what you thought of it in the comment box.

Until Then May You Have Some Happy, Safe and Responsible Drinking,
SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies


No comments:

Post a Comment