Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Blue Point Brewery August 20, 2019

Hey peeps, I wanted to pair my SiscoVanilla Beer Chronicles (hashtag #SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles) that I showcase on my IG-TV channel with this blogpage to shed light on some of the breweries that make the beer that I taste as part of the SiscoVanilla Beer Chronicles. Breweries today range from the small niche craft brewer to the old school brewery with centuries of lineage to the large multinational brewers with many others in between. So with that in mind, let's shed some light on a local brewery that has its roots on Long Island, New York: Blue Point Brewery.

Blue Point was founded in 1998 by Mark Burford and Peter Cotter who according to the Blue Point website "noticed a lack of fresh beer on Long Island and wanted to lower their bar tabs." The partners set up their brewery on Patchogue on the south shore of Long Island in Suffolk County. Their first beer is their flagship Toasted Lager which is categorized as an American Amber Lager. Blue Point proved to be a successful brewery that it was noticed by Anheuser-Busch.

In 2014 Anheuser-Busch purchased the Blue Point Brewery with the intention of leaving the operation "as-is." This was Anheuser-Busch's second purchase of a craft brewery after their purchase of the Chicago craft brewer Goose Island in 2011. Currently a new brewery is being built in Patchogue to meet the steady demand and original brews that are produced by Blue Point. I've been lucky to have been able to profile a number of Blue Point's beers. Here are four of those brews:


Blue Point Delayed Pilsner, Toasted Lager, Pinstripe Pils and the Summer Ale are just four recent Blue Point beers that I have had the privilege of tasting. Here are the ABV/IBU metrics for the four beers:
Blue Point Delayed Pilsner ABV5.8% IBU:30
Blue Point Toasted Lager ABV 5.5% IBU 28
Blue Point Pinstripe Pils ABV 5.0% IBU 22
Blue Point Summer Ale ABV 4.4% IBU 16
I found that I liked the Toasted Lager, the Pinstripe Pils and the Summer Ale. I wasn't too keen on the Delayed Pilsner. I guess three out of four ain't bad, right? To learn more of these beers, click on the links attached. 

I currently have a fifth Blue Point beer on deck, which is a collaboration with the Dominican national beer Presidente called Una Fría. 


The beer is described as follows on the website: "A golden Pilsner brewed in collaboration with Presidente using real plantains for a refreshing taste."

To my amazement, the beer that they worked on is brewed with plantains. We Dominicans sure do love our maduros and tostones 😋😋😋. They had my attention piqued at plantains. LOL. I'll do a tasting on that particular beer soon enough. 

For now I'm comforted with the knowledge that Blue Point Brewery hasn't changed much even though it is under the Anheuser-Busch umbrella. Collaborations and unique beers are also comforting to see that Blue Point hasn't lost its uniqueness or desire to innovate. I look forward to doing some more research on the Blue Point Brewery and their tasty beers. 

I just recently saw on the Blue Point Instagram page that they are opening a new underground brew pub in DUMBO at 66 Water Street (by Old Dock Street) called The Hull. They are due to open in the Fall of 2019. I might not have to go to Patchogue to get some of their delicious brews after all. You can get more info at the Instagram page for the Hull.

Whatcha think about Blue Point? Like it? Don't like it? Meh? Hit me up and let me know what you think of Patchogue's own. 

Until Then, Happy Drinking,
SIscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles

For Further Reading:


No comments:

Post a Comment