Friday, September 27, 2013

Biting Oranges

I know I said in my last post that I would continue to highlight the cocktails and food that I recently had at the GMT Tavern on Bleecker Street but a brief encounter I had last night inspired this post. Last night I attended the last Yankees home game of the season and had the honor of watching future Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera throw his last pitches in Yankee pinstripes. Definitely a night for the ages. After the game we went over to the Vega Alta Tavern on 880 Gerard Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452 (718) 992-2445.

My friend Mike had a co-worker who was celebrating her birthday there and we decided to swing by there for a quick brew before going to get something to eat closer to my neighborhood. As we're sitting at a table, a few of the Yankee stadium workers came in and one of the ladies was holding an interesting looking tall can. I asked her what that was and she said it was a delicious drink that was better than Four Loko. She asked if I wanted to taste it. How could I say no. Actually, even if I wanted to say no, she didn't give me a choice. She poured a little into my commemorative Yankee cup. At that point what could I do. When in Rome...ummm When in the Bronx. Right?

It tasted like orange flavored malt liquor. This is really no different that what we used to do back in the day by mixing a wine cooler with a 40oz of Old E or St. Ides. At 12% Alc/Vol it is almost more than double the alcohol content of your average beer. So this sweet tasting concoction can pack quite wallop if you suck too many of them down.

This product is made by a Canadian company called Jaw Drop Coolers. On their website for the U.S. market they show three different flavors: The above mentioned Biting Orange, the Puckering Punch and Sucking Lemons. In Canada they also have the Licking Limes and Squeezing Melons flavors to accompany the lemon and punch coolers. Curiously they don't advertise the orange flavor. Guess that is all for us here to enjoy in the good old U.S.of A.

Now upon further investigation, I came across the If It's Hip, It's Here blogpost entitled Introducing Jaw Drop Coolers. Fun Flavored Alcoholic Beverages In Fabulously Designed Cans from April 12, 2013. In the post they show all the flavors available in this line and something about it is quite curious. Here is what they say:
Available in Canada:
•SUCKING LEMONS - 7% Vodka Cooler
•PUCKERING PUNCH - 7% Vodka Cooler
•**NEW** SQUEEZING MELONS - 7% Vodka Cooler
•**NEW** LICKING LIMES - 7% Vodka Cooler

Available in USA:
•SUCKING LEMONS - 12% Flavored Malt Beverage
•PUCKERING PUNCH - 12% Flavored Malt Beverage
•BITING ORANGES - 12% Flavored Malt Beverage
While the Canadians get 7% vodka coolers in their cans, we get 12% flavored malt liquor in ours. I wonder why. Is it a taste issue? Does malt liquor sell better here in the U.S.A. rather than in Canada? Do vodka coolers sell better Canada than here in the U.S.A.?

Surprisingly, I graciously declined to a second pour of her Biting Orange drink. I didn't want to deprive her of her delicious brew. I have one more post about last night's activites before returning to my regularly scheduled blogging. I'll put that post up tomorrow on the curiously labeled Mojito Club rum.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla


No comments:

Post a Comment