Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pomegranate Infused Liqueur Part II

Since putting together my Pomegranate Infused Liqueur on October 9th, I've put in some more work on the infusion. Roughly six weeks into the infusion I decided to strain out the pomegranate seed casings and the lemon rinds. This left me with an infusion that was a pale brown to a pale purple in color. Into this I decided to add something that I forgot when I was working from the original recipe: Cinnamon sticks.

I added two sticks to the infusion and back up in the cabinet it went. I believe that by forgetting to add the cinnamon sticks I actually did the right thing. Why? I find that in working with cinnamon and infusions, the cinnamon tends to overpower whatever it is that I am trying to infuse. Adding the cinnamon sticks at a later stage will give me the cinnamon flavor I want without it becoming entirely a cinnamon dominant liqueur. Let's fast forward to December 4th. 

At this stage I decided to add some sweetness to the infusion by adding a simple syrup with a 2 to 1 ratio of splenda to water (1.5 cups of splenda to 3/4 cup of water). Back in the cabinet it went for another week. 

Here we are on December 11th and I've decided that it is time to strain out the infusion. I use a coffee filter to do the straining/filtering of the infusion. Now this is a somewhat painstaking way for filtering an infusion. The liqueur just drips out very slowly into the mason jar as you can see in the image on the right. But I'm in no rush. As the old man tells Al of Al's Toy Barn in Toy Story 2 when fixing the damaged Woody: You can't rush art. Who am I to argue with him. ;) 

While this infusion filters and drips, I'll finish this off in the next post along with a drink or two that I think would taste amazing with this liqueur. 

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla 

No comments:

Post a Comment