Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pomegranate Infused Liqueur Part I

If you've read my blog in the past you'll know that I like to infuse alcohol with fresh ingredients to try and make flavored liqueurs that don't rely on artificial flavors. Though I have been a bit lax on posting my infusions, it doesn't mean that I have been inactive on the infusing front. The big infusion that I am working on is a Pomegranate Vodka/Liqueur.

I found this recipe on how to make pomegranate liqueur on this page Homemade Pomegranate Liqueur. I decided to go about making my liqueur a little different. On the instruction page, they detail the steps to take if using fresh pomegranates. To be perfectly honest, unless I shop down in the city, I'm not going to find pomegranates in the Bronx. So I decide to improvise.

At the local deli by my job, occasionally sells small containers of pomegranate seeds. Luckily I found three packs and decided to go ahead with the infusion (Picture 1). The recipe called for taking the seeds and crushing or mashing them to drain the juice from them (Picture 2).
Picture 1
Picture 2

Surprisingly these little seeds give off an amazing amount of juice (Picture 3). After draining the seeds, you take the juice AND the seeds and put them together in a glass container (Picture 4).

Picture 3

Picture 4
Next you take two lemons and and peel the rind off of it trying your best to get the skin rather than the pith and add it to the pomegranate juice/seed mixture (Picture 5).

Picture 5
Add one liter of vodka to the pomegranate/lemon skin mixture, seal and set aside for a few weeks while shaking it everyday (Picture 6).

Picture 6
Now the infusion recipe calls for a few more steps after the liqueur has been steeping for a few weeks. I'll update my progress when I get to that point. In my next post I'll highlight the other infusions that I have been working on behind the scenes.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment