Thursday, October 24, 2013

Midnight Masquerade

I love it how my friends love to give me cocktail recipes that they seem to find in magazines and online. This time Pete came across the following ad for Sauza Hornitos Plata, which seems to be making a push for Halloween cocktails.


Of the three, we chose to make the Midnight Masquerade. Here is the recipe for it:
Midnight Masquerade
1.5 parts of Hornitos Plata Tequila
0.5 part of Dry Vermouth
0.5 part of Sweet Vermouth
0.5 part of Campari
1 dash of Angostura Bitters

Stir all ingredients in an ice filled shaker. Strain into a fresh glass with ice. Add a lemon twist.
At first taste the Campari gives me a Kung fu kick straight to the mouth. Normally I like the bitter taste Campari gives my tastes buds but man this little bit i\of Campari pushed all the other ingredients out of the way into the background. You couldn't even tell that there was any Tequila in this cocktail. Then something interesting happened.

As the drink sat for a few minutes and mellowed, the Campari seemed to recede into the background and the cocktail took a bit of a dry texture with the Tequila flavor coming out to the forefront. I guess this is where the Masquerade part comes in. Now the only difference between this drink and the original recipe is that we didn't have any Hornitos Plata, so we used the Hornitos Reposado instead.

If you like cocktails that seem to have different flavors profiles at different times while you drink it, then I say give this one a try.

For my next post, I highlight my attempts to show how not to make an improper Tom Collins while marrying said Mr. Collins with the gin named after the literary diva Dorothy Parker called the Dorothy Parker-Collins.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment