Friday, April 25, 2014

Discampari Sour

Last week I came across the recipe for what +Kane Cheshire calls A Disperol Sour. Now I found this to be an interesting cocktail since it combines Disaronno Amaretto with Aperol. Instead of Lemon juice, Kane has decided to use Lime juice instead with a spoon of powdered sweetener (though sugar can be used instead). Here is the recipe he posted on his page:
Disperol Sour

Ingredients:
50ml Disaronno, or amaretto 145 calories
25ml Aperol, or orange flavoured liqueur 100 calories
1 heaped tsp sugar 16 calories
Juice of ½ a lime 5 calories

Method:
In a cocktail shaker, vigorously shake together all the ingredients to make the sugar dissolve. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker then you can just use a blender. Fill a glass with crushed ice and pour over, using a strainer if possible. Garnish with a wedge of lime and serve immediately!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Aperol, I covered this particular bitter orange flavored liqueur in my blogpost Aperol Spritz at the Noho Star from February 5, 2014. In looking at his post, I wondered what a cocktail with Campari instead of Aperol would taste like.

Campari is similar to Aperol though Campari has a higher alcohol content than Aperol. Campari's ABV ranges from 20.5% to 28% ABV/41-56 Proof depending on the country that the Campari being produced for, while Aperol is 11% ABV/22 Proof. Campari is also a much bitter liqueur compared to the milder Aperol. Keeping this in mind, I came up with the following recipe:
Discampari Sour
2oz (60ml) Disaronno Amaretto
1oz (30ml) Campari
2 packets of Splenda
Juice of half a lime

In a cocktail shaker with ice, build the ingredients and shake vigorously to dissolve the sweetner. Strain into a glass with fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and a cherry.
As you can see, I kept Kane's dimensions intact (2-1 Disaronno to Campari) though my cocktail has a bit more booze. I didn't use as much sweetener as he did since I already think that for my palatte, the Disaronno is sweet enough. The Campari pops out almost immediately on the back of the tongue and blends nicely with the Disaronno. The lime juice gives the cocktail a nice and light feel. It has a springlike quality that Melvin seemed to state when he tried the cocktail. I need to stick this in the cocktail arsenal.

Thanks to Kane for the post and inspiration. If you guys and gals are in the area and would like to try this cocktail, come on in. I'm behind the sticks on Sunday and Monday nights. I'd be glad to make it for you. =)

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies

No comments:

Post a Comment