Monday, September 2, 2024

Having A Pint of Smithwick's Irish Red Ale at Niall's on 52nd September 2, 2024

Happy Labor Day to one and all. This is the first of two posts of beers that I had recently at the Irish pub Niall's on 52nd (218 E 52nd St, New York, NY 10022 (212) 888-4648) For the first beer I want to profile is Smithwick's Irish Red Ale. According to the Untappd app, I hadn't had a Smithwick's since 2015. It's not a beer that is readily found unless you go to a classic Irish pub like Niall's on 52nd. Let's go down the beer rabbit hole for some history on Smithwick's Irish Red Ale.

The roots of Smithwick's lie in the Irish town of Kilkenny. John Smithwick started his brewery on the grounds of a 14th century Franciscan abbey in 1710. It seems fitting that Smithwick would start his family's brewing history here. Why? Historically monks were known to make beer. The brewery would ride highs and lows throughout the centuries and remain in the Smithwick family for over 250 before being purchased by Guinness in 1965. In 1997, Smithwick's would become part of the Diageo portfolio of beers. The Kilkenny Brewery would stop making the Smithwick's beers on New Year's Eve 2013 when production was transferred to the famed St. James' Gate brewery in Dublin, Ireland. 

For the record, I love the Irish Red Ales. But I find that they are really hard to find. Killian's Irish Red could be easily found here in NYC at bars during the 1990s. But even that beer is hard to find. Imagine my surprise when I ask the waitress at Niall's of 52nd for which beers they had on tap and right after her first beer on the list being Guinness, she says Smithwick's. I didn't let her say the third beer with how fast I ordered a Smithwick's 😋. And to make it even better, the beer came from a freshly tapped keg. So, what did I think?

As you can see from my video review on Instagram, the Smithwick's Irish Red Ale was cold, creamy, rich and malty. While I'm sure the canned and bottled versions are more than suitable, I recommend that you go with a nice cold freshly poured pint. What do you think of the Smithwick's Irish Red Ale? Let me know what you think in the comments section. 

Lo and behold I did let the waitress finish telling me what the bar's draft list was. For the second beer that I had at Nialls on 52nd, I went with a more readily available Radeberger Pilsner. Keep an eye open for that next post. 

Until Then May You Have Some Happy, Safe and Responsible Drinking,
SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies


No comments:

Post a Comment