Saturday, August 17, 2024

What is Metheglin August 17, 2024

What's up peeps!!!! Once again, I find inspiration for a post from the online MMO Elder Scrolls Online. Previously I've written the following posts What is Isinglass June 30, 2022 and What is an Oenophile September 25, 2021 based on the crafting missions that are part of the game. For today's post, I'm highlighting the provisioning ingredient known as Metheglin. I had never heard of what metheglin is, and as you can see by the pensive look of my character, he is also deep in thought about what metheglin is 😁. 


I did a little research and found that the making of metheglin predates the creation of wine by using grapes. I came across the article What is Metheglin from the Hidden Legend Winery website dated May 3, 2024. Here is how the article describes what Metheglin is:
Metheglin is a special kind of mead made by mixing honey, water, spices, and herbs. This combination adds unique flavors that traditional mead doesn’t have.
Before we go forward, in case you don't know what mead is, mead is a fermented beverage that is made with honey, water and yeast. To put it simply, Metheglin is an herb infused Mead. But what are the origins of Mead and Metheglin.

According to the aforementioned article, the word Metheglin is derived from the Welsh word “meddyglyn,” Where “meddyg” stands for healing and “llyn” means liquor; similarly touched by Latin medicus meaning medical. As with many liquor types that are enjoyed today, the roots of Metheglin lay in its use as a medical remedy. 

The article goes into the details on how to make both mead and metheglin. I recommend that you check it out if you are interested in making them. Let me know if you do. I'd be interested to hear how it comes out. 

Until Then May You Have Some Happy, Safe and Responsible Drinking,
SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies

For Further Reading:


No comments:

Post a Comment