Saturday, September 25, 2021

What is an Oenophile September 25, 2021

While I'm in the middle of crafting a new posts, I wanted to keep your appetite whetted with a quick and simple post. I was recently playing the Elder Scrolls Online MMO and the following came up with a conversation with an in-game character.

 
Oenophile? I don't think I've ever heard that word before. I decided to check the Merriam-Webster dictionary web page for a concise answer. What I found out is that an Oenophile is a lover or connoisseur of wine. Interesting. I would have thought the word describing a lover or connoisseur of wine would have the word wine within it. And I wasn't wrong. It just wasn't the word wine from the Latin that is describing it.

Digging a bit deeper on the Merriam-Webster website's listing for an Oenophile, I discovered the following:

"The truth about the word wine is that it goes back to Latin vinum, but it is also a distant relative of the Greek word for wine, which is oinos. Indeed, Latin borrowed from the Greek to create a combining form that means "wine," oeno-. Modern French speakers combined oeno- with -phile (Greek for "lover of") to create oenophile before we adopted it from them in the mid-1800s."

The study of the science of making wine is called either Oenology or Enology (more common today.) An expert in making wine is called an Oenogist or Enologist (also the common term used.)

Wine knowledge is something that is missing from by bartending skill set. So its always a good thing to learn something new. Never let it be said that you can't learn something new from a video game 😉.

Keep an eye out for my next post. Something new and original is on the way!!!!

Until Then May You Have Some Happy, Safe and Responsible Drinking,
SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies

For Further Reading:

- Oenology from Vinotrip.com

- WHAT IS AN OENOLOGIST AND HOW DO YOU BECOME ONE? From Bodegas Montecillos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment