Monday, April 18, 2022

McKenzie Rye Whiskey from Finger Lakes Distillery April 18, 2022

Hey peeps, what's up. For today's post I'm staying in the New York Finger lakes region. In my last post I did a quick profile for the Hildick Applejack Brandy brand. Now I'm focusing on one of the new school distilleries in the area that produces an interesting Rye Whiskey. 

McKenzie Rye Whiskey from the Finger Lakes Distillery (4676 NYS Route 414 Burdett, New York [607-546-5510]). Finger Lakes Distillery is designated as a New York State Farm Distillery. What does that mean? According to the post What Can You Do as a Craft Beverage Manufacturer? from the New York State Liquor Authority website: 
Farm Distilleries are required to use at least 75% New York grown or produced fruits, vegetables, grain and grain products, honey, maple sap or other agricultural products. Farm distillery licensees may only produce New York State labelled liquor. 
So based on that, here is how McKenzie Rye Whiskey is described on their website:
McKenzie Rye Whiskey is made from local rye grain and is distilled using old-time techniques. We age this whiskey in new charred oak casks and finish in sherry barrels from local wineries. The sherry balances the spiciness of the rye and also gives a nod to the wine region where this whiskey is produced. 750 ml   |  91 proof   
The label also states that it is aged a minimum of 3 years in American Oak casks.

Now I'm very much not drinking any hard liquor these days. But for the sake of this post I poured my self a very teeny teeny amount of McKenzie Rye Whiskey to wet my palate. Its been a while since I've had any brand of rye whiskey but I have to say that I like what McKenzie brings to the table. 

I found it to be sweet with a subtle spice on the back end. It isn't as spicy as other ryes that I've had and enjoyed. But it was just enough spice. It was also very aromatic to the nose. It also left me with a nice tingle on the lips that I have to admit that I've missed. 

I highly recommend that you try some. We have it available at Finns Corner (660 Washington Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238 [347-663-9316]) for your drinking pleasure. Roll on in. 

For my next post I'm focusing on Heineken's newest offering, a low ABV brew known as Heineken Silver. Keep your 👀 peeled for it. 

Until Then May You Have Some Happy, Safe and Responsible Drinking, 
SiscoVanilla 

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaServesAndDrinks 
#SiscoVanillaHasABrewski
#SiscoVanillaBeerChronicles
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies  

No comments:

Post a Comment