Monday, April 22, 2013

On The Manhattan Road

After two different Manhattan cocktails containing Kirkland 103 Proof and Jim Beam 80 proof bourbons, I decided to switch things up a bit. Since I had an orange that I had cut open during the Kirkland's 103 Proof Bourbon post, I decided to incorporate it into the recipe that I use for a Manhattan. I decided to swap out the splash of cherry that I add for some Orange bitters and an orange twist. Here is what I came up with.


The Orange Manhattan
2.5 oz Jim Beam Bourbon
1 oz Sweet vermouth
4 dashes The Bitter Truth Orange bitters
1 maraschino cherry
1 twist orange peel
Combine the vermouth, bourbon whiskey, and bitters with 4-5 ice cubes in a mixing glass. Stir gently. Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey mixture over the cherry. Rub the cut edge of the orange peel over the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink to release the oils. Drop it in.
I find this cocktail very appealing. I like how the citrus flavor and aroma leaps out at you from this cocktail. It isn't as sweet as the standard Jim Beam Manhattan and definitely not as strong as the Kirkland Manhattan. I find the addition of the Orange Bitters with the subtraction of the cherry juice gives a more spicier flavor to the Jim Beam Manhattan.

I might find myself making this one more while at home. Give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment