Tuesday, January 21, 2014

People Need To Properly Advise Young Drinkers

I believe that I was lucky. How so you might ask? I was lucky enough to have gotten good advice when it came to drinking. Now this doesn't mean that I didn't make the same mistakes that all drinkers make. I did. But I took to heart what was advised to me when I was in my early 20's and I think that made me a smarter drinker. Case in point. My dad told me that if I didn't have money to go out then you don't go out. Very simple, no? He also advised me that you should never settle when putting something inside your body. That I should drink quality spirits as opposed to rotgut. Makes sense, right? Well here is why I mention this.


This past Sunday night, we had a young guy at the bar order a round of shots for him and his friends. He asked for six shots of vodka and one of tequila "The cheapest you have". Now I normally don't interject my personal views when serving drinks at work past the recommendation of a possible spirit as opposed to another. But I felt compelled to tell this young man that he should never settle when putting things into his body. I'd serve him the well, but if he's willing to spend the money, better to spend it on a better product. He stated that he didn't care since they just wanted to get "fucked up". So I shrug, pour and charge him for the shots. Now here is the other piece of dispensed advice.

I had served him a beer earlier in the evening and he paid me the exact amount of what the beer cost and he felt the need to tell me that he "would tip me at the end". Now this is what I find is the case in my experience. While there are people that do tip when they leave rather than with each transaction, those who choose to make mention of it never tip. It is the same with those who feel the need to tell you that "I'll take care of you" or "I'll hook you up". They never do. It is best to not say anything and let your actions (or lack of actions) speak for you. Back to the same guy.

After I give him his tab for the aforementioned shots, he signs the slip, leaving the tip line blank. He punctuates it by telling me again that he would take care of me later. Telling me once, I let it drop. Telling me twice I felt the need to say something. I told him that he doesn't need to tell a bartender that he's going to tip them later. Just to do whatever it is that he's going to do. If you're going to tip then do so without the show. If not, then don't. But to keep harping on the point that you are going to tip later only shows that you won't. Its all smoke and mirrors. Lo and behold, the kid left with his friends. Guess what, as expected...HE DIDN'T TIP.

I find it sad that these young drinkers just don't learn how act in a public setting like a bar. Partially I blame the fact that they just haven't had the proper advice. Now when they are given the proper advice and choose to ignore it, then I blame them entirely. Here's another example of this.

A few months ago a young man would regularly come to the bar. He'd order a Bacardi Gold and coke. He'd punctuate his order with the statement "Make it strong". Now those three words, along with someone asking for a buyback are the statements that will rub a bartender the wrong way. In case you didn't know, asking a bartender to "make it strong" or asking for a buyback will only cause the bartender to NOT do so. It causes the opposite effect. Back to the make it strong guy. Now as with the other guy that I mention above, the first time I let it slide. The second time he mentioned it, I felt the need to comment. I told him that if he asks the bartender to make it strong, ON PRINCIPLE, he was not going to make it strong. Now I won't make it any weaker to spite him. That's not my style. But as I told him (as with the other guy): let your actions speak for themselves. You take care of your bartender with your conversation, bar etiquette and tips then a bartender will not only remember you but also take care of you in potentially stronger pours and/or a free drink. So what does he do?

Not only did he not heed my words by not tipping, but the next time he came in he ordered the same drink with the request for me to "Make it strong". As my dad would say: Pobre America. What a sad state we find ourselves with these young drinkers and their lack of bar etiquette. All we can do is just shake out heads and keep pouring the rotgut. =)

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies


No comments:

Post a Comment