Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bitters, Liqueurs and More Bitters

My back has been acting up and have decided to not have anything to drink until it gets better. =( But on a good note, I finally received the package from Germany that I have been waiting for. During the beginning of the year I ordered a travel set of Bitters plus one sample sized bottle of Pimento Dram, Apricot Liqueur and Violet Liqueur. I placed my order through the Drinkology website and though it took about three weeks to receive, I am very satisfied and would definitely recommend anyone to order from them.

So what kind of bitters did I get in the travel set? Well, the set is made by The Bitter Truth and comes with the following (as per the website):
The Bitter Truth – Cocktail Bitters Traveler’s Set is ideal for in flight hand luggage and therefore the ideal companion for all globetrotters who won`t settle for anything less than perfect drinks during their flight! Including 5 flavors in a vintage design tin box limited edition. This set of bitters is also the perfect addition to anybody’s home bar.

Tasting Notes:
CELERY BITTERS: Very complex and exotic. The initial flavor of celery is dominant, leading into a complex palate with aromas of lemongrass, orange peel and ginger.

OLD TIME AROMATIC BITTERS: Classically bitter and tangy. Combining the aromatics of cinnamon, cardamom, anise and cloves, it reminds one of gingerbread.

ORANGE BITTERS: The aroma of bitter orange peel is in the foreground, complimented by the spicy flavors of cardamom, caraway and nutmeg.

CREOLE BITTERS: The complex combination of flavors hints upon spice, bitterness and cardamon with a subtle floral finish that evokes the flavors of Creole cuisine in New Orleans/Louisiana.

JERRY THOMAS BITTERS: Very fruity and very bitter. Citrus and dried fruit aromas unite with the spicy and bitter flavors of cloves, angostura bark and cinnamon.
Doesn't that sound delicious? As I stated above, I also received three small bottles of liqueurs. Here is how those liqueurs are described:
Pimento Dram: Allspice liqueur in a miniature bottle with delicate aromas of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. For Tiki drinks and classic cocktails.

Apricot Liqueur: Fruity apricot liqueur in a miniature bottle with rich body and reduced almond flavor for stellar cocktails.

Violet Liqueur: Elegant, light violet liqueur in a minature bottle with floral aromas and reduced sugar content for stellar cocktails.
In buying these little bottles, I see myself making some new and exciting cocktails. I look forward to jumping in and posting on a few of those very soon...once my back gets back to normal.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

FYI: If you don't want to order these products from Germany, you can also do so through the DrinkupNY website. I would assume that you'd get them faster since you don't have to deal with International shipping.


No comments:

Post a Comment