Thursday, January 3, 2013

How The Peppermint Bark Became The Jaclyn

Happy New Year 2013 gals and guys!!!!! I have to tell ya, the last three weeks of bar shifts for me at the bar have been super crazy. From the Dos Caminos holiday party, to the wild and woolly Christmas Eve to the super slammed New Years Eve party, I have been run ragged. Now mind you, I'm not complaining. In between the busy times, I found a way to have a simple shot morph into what might become something of a signature cocktail for me. Allow me to elaborate.

On Christmas Eve, I asked one of our lovely waitresses Jaclyn if she wanted a shot. Since I know that she is not a hard liquor shot taker, I decided to make her something sweet. Since I also know that she has a chocolate covered sweet tooth, I decided to make her something within the world of Le Chocolate. Also, since we were in the Holiday season, I figured something Peppermint flavored would also be apropos. So I decided to combine the two. Here is what I came up with:
The Peppermint Bark Shot
1oz Bailey's Irish Cream
1oz Dark Creme de Cacao
1/8oz Peppermint Schnapps (or a splash to be imprecise)

Build over ice, shake vigorously and strain into a shot glass.
The shot was creamy, chocolaty with a hint of peppermint. It was quite tasty actually. A couple of hours later Dana and Caridad came in and I decided to make Caridad a similar cocktail to the Peppermint Bark with a slight alteration. To the creamy blend, I decided to add a splash of Kahlua to the mix. Let's just say that ever since then, every cocktail that I've made for Caridad has been the second version. Let's fast forward to New Years Eve/Day.

After Marta and Jaclyn were done with their shifts on New Years Eve, they decided to sit down and have a cocktail to unwind. Marta ordered a Dry Ketel Martini with a lemon twist and olives. Jaclyn asked for something she might like. What better opportunity to make the cocktail that evolved from the Peppermint Bark. Here is the recipe named for the lady who it was originally made for:
The Jaclyn
2oz Bailey's Irish Cream
2oz Dark Creme de Cacao
1/8oz Kahlua Coffee Liqueur (or a splash to be imprecise)
1/8oz Peppermint Schnapps (or a splash to be imprecise)

Build over ice in a shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
As you can see from the smile in the picture, Jaclyn loved it. As a matter of fact, both ladies loved their respective cocktails. Hey, I aim to please.


Now THAT's a nice way to start off the New Year in cocktail making. Off we go with a blast into 2013. I have a bunch of new cocktail recipes that I am eager to make for you and for me to taste. =) Keep tuned true believers.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment