Wednesday, January 9, 2013

La Paloma

I've been meaning to make this cocktail since my friend and fellow cocktail enthusiast Joel sent me a link to the following video in September:


Now you would think that being in the Bronx, I would find some grapefruit soda like Jarritos Toronja rather easily. Well, I guess my schedule makes it hard to navigate the local Mexican bodegas. Luckily for you fine folks (and me as well) I was able to find some recently and here is my attempt at making a Paloma.


This is the recipe I used, based on Jacques Bezuidenhout's recipe. Bezuidenhout is a bartender at the Eastside West Restaurant and Bar in San Francisco:
La Paloma
2oz of Sauza Tequila Blanco
Juice of Half a Lime
Pinch of Salt
Top off with Jarritos Toronja Soda.

In a highball glass filled with ice, pour Tequila. Add salt, lime juice and top off with the Grapefruit Soda. Stir and serve.
I originally made this in a smaller glass and found it to be somewhat strong. After transferring it into the larger glass you see here and adding a little more soda I found myself with one refreshing cocktail. The Toronja soda gives it a nice effervescent feel while balancing out the lime juice and the tequila blanco. I can see how Mr. Bazuidenhout says in the video that in Mexico you are given the ingredients to the cocktail and make it at your leisure as you sit among friends.

I think I may have found a new favorite cocktail. Have you tried it? Let me know what you think.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment