Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Lemon Stag

I decided to tap one of the many little "airplane" bottles of booze that I have sitting on my shelf and the one that stood out to me was the Jim Beam Red Stag Honey Tea bourbon. According to the Jim Beam website:
Through a special infusion process, our distillers start with our fine Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and then infuse it with natural flavors. The result is the distinctive taste of Jim Beam® complemented with hints of honey tea, truly A Different Breed of Bourbon™. Sometimes the uncharted path delivers the greatest rewards.

Red Stag by Jim Beam® bourbon’s smooth, well-rounded taste is delicious mixed, over ice or straight up.
In terms of its flavor profile:
A smooth whiskey that features the flavors of two southern classics: honey and tea.
Taste: Corn and mellow oak notes mixed with a hint of honey and tea
Finish: Smooth and warm
I like it. Its not cloyingly sweet as the Jack Daniel's Honey is. You can still taste the Jim Beam bourbon pop through the sweet flavor of the Honey Tea. It actually has a little spiciness. This bourbon is 40% alc./vol. (80 Proof).

Since I yesterday made myself an Adult Arnold Palmer (Seagrams Sweet Tea Vodka and Lemonade), I decided to do a variation of the cocktail with the Red Stag Honey Tea, Lemonade and Seltzer Water. Here is what I came up with:
The Lemon Stag
2oz (50ml) Jim Beam Red Stag Honey Tea bourbon
4oz (100ml) Homemade Lemonade
4oz (100ml) Seltzer Water

Build in a glass with one large ice cube, stir lightly.
I found the cocktail to be very light with a subtle tartness from the lemonade mixing with the light sweetness of the Red Stag. The seltzer water gave it a small amount of effervescence. With the temperatures reaching close to 100 degrees here in NYC, this light and refreshing cocktail is just what I need to keep cool.

I highly recommend you give it a try.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment