Monday, October 1, 2012

The Honeysuckle Fro

Before I go into today's cocktail, please allow me to say a few words about my friend the talented Chuck Collins. He's an amazing artist whose art will be on display at the Medialia Gallery 335 West 38th Street, 4th Floor, New York, New York in the Art of Neon Soul exhibit with other talented artists such as Grey Williamson, Eric Nocella Diaz, Nelson Ancensio, Manuel Jesus, Rodney Jackson and Kilroy III. The exhibit runs from October 10 to October 27. Go check it out. In addition to that, Chuck has one of his main works DSX set to be made into an upcoming live action series in the year 2014. So expect big things from Mr. Chuck Collins in the near future.

Another thing about Chuck is that he is an aficionado of the Afros on the ladies. Yes folks, he loves them. The bigger, the better. So what does this have to do with a cocktail? I'm getting to it so don't rush me. Back to the Afros.

I recently told Chuck about an upcoming exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum showcasing the works of artist Mickaline Thomas whose work coincidently contains voluptuous women of color who in many of the painting have? Yup you guessed it: Afros!! In the New York Times article Loud, Proud and Painted ‘Mickalene Thomas: Origin of the Universe,’ at Brooklyn Museum that I forwarded to Chuck, there was one particular image that he was astounded by. In this “Le Déjeuner sur l’Herbe: Les Trois Femmes Noires,” Ms. Thomas’s 24-foot-wide reprise of “Le Déjeuner sur l’Herbe,” Édouard Manet’s masterpiece from 1863 there are three women of different shades with big Afros. Now Chuck saw this picture and said the following: "Wow, three different flavors of afros. There's mocha fro, dark chocolate fro and honeysuckle Fro".

HONEYSUCKLE FRO!!! Now how can I not hear that and not want to make a cocktail with that name. Thanks for the inspiration Chuck, LOL. Off I went to the bar and looked at what we had that had honey. Obviously I naturally gravitated to the Drambuie. Then I thought to myself, what would add an extra level or two of sweetness to tame the scotch that's in the Drambuie. I wanted some orange flavor so I chose Cointreau. I also wanted some herbal essences so I chose Benedictine DOM. Now these three liqueurs are somewhat thick and sweet, so to avoid having something that was overpoweringly sweet, I decided that some fresh Lemon juice would do the trick to cut the drink a bit. I would top it off with club soda for a little fizz.

This is what I came up with:
The Honeysuckle Fro
1.5oz Drambuie
.5oz Cointreau
.5oz Benedictine DOM
1oz Fresh Lemon
Soda top
Lemon twist

Add all ingredients (except soda) in ice filled shaker. Shake vigorously until super cold and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Top with soda water. Stir slightly, add lemon twist

So what does this taste like? Lemonade. I have to admit, the cocktail came out much smoother than I expected it to. The flavors were balanced. Not too sweet and not too tart. The cocktail has a nice yellow color that invokes a feeling of sunshine and golden goodness, like the lady and her afro in the picture.


Here's to you my brother. Continued success in your artistic career and thank you for the inspiring comment for the Honeysuckle Fro!!!!!

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment