Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Bobby Burns

Yesterday was the 253rd Birthday of famous Scottish Poet and Lyricist Robert Burns. In honor of his birthday, I decided to whip up his name sake cocktail: The Bobby Burns. It really is a simple cocktail to make and how you make it really is a personal preference. When I mean how you make it, I mean what kind of scotch and what kind of sweet vermouth to use in the cocktail. The only constants are the small amount of Benedictine used and the lemon peel. Here is the recipe I used:
The Bobby Burns
1.5oz Sweet Vermouth (I used Chinzano)
1.5oz Scotch Whisky (I used Johnnie Walker Black)
3 dashes (1/3 teaspoon) Benedictine DOM

Pour ingredients into a mixing glass with cracked ice. Stir briskly until well chilled, and strain into a pre-chilled cocktail glass. Twist a piece of lemon peel over the glass, rub it lightly around the rim, and drop it in.
I made as directed and poured it in a basic rocks glass. I shared some of it with Pete and also made one for Melvin. We all agreed that it was a tasty cocktail. Melvin stated that even though it was tasty, it kind of fell off rather quickly. We both agreed that perhaps using a higher quality scotch (perhaps something more peaty and smokey) and a higher quality vermouth such as Carpano Antica it would give us a longer lasting and more flavorful cocktail. But since I am a neophile when it comes to scotches past Dewars, Johnnie Walker and the occasional Single Malt like Macallan 12 I really don't know what to use.

Any personal recommendations? Suggestions? I'm all ears.

And speaking of recommendations, my friend Amanda Schuster recently wrote an article called A Toast to Bobby Burns from the Shakestir website giving recommendations on what Scotches to consume on Robert Burns day and any other that for that matter. Give it a read. Slainte mhoiz (Good health).

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment