Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bluecoat American Dry Gin

I've had a bottle of Bluecoat American Dry Gin sitting in my liquor cabinet for about two months now courtesy of my friend Pete. Sitting home on a Friday night, I decided to crack it open and give it a try. Before I go into what I thought of it, I wanted to give you a little background info on this product.

Bluecoat is made here in the United States in the City of Brotherly Love: Philadelphia, PA. Here is how they describe their product Bluecoat American Dry Gin:
IS A REVOLUTIONARY SPIRIT THAT LEADS WITH REFRESHINGLY SWEET AROMATICS, GIVING WAY TO SOFT AND EARTHY JUNIPER NOTES. THE BODY IS INTENSELY SMOOTH WITH A COMPLEX DEPTH OF FLAVORS THAT REVEAL THEMSELVES AS THEY PERMEATE THE PALATE. THE BRIGHT FINISH IS EXCEPTIONALLY LONG AND COMPLETES AN EXPERIENCE THAT IS INCREDIBLY PLEASING TO THE SENSES.
In terms of how it is made:
DISTILLED IN A CUSTOM, HAND-HAMMERED COPPER POT STILL, BLUECOAT REPRESENTS THE PINNACLE OF ARTISANAL CRAFT SPIRITS. ONLY THE SMOOTHEST, MOST FLAVORFUL CUTS ARE BOTTLED. THE RESULTS ARE IMMEDIATELY NOTICEABLE: A QUALITY SPIRIT WITH A SMOOTH AND GENTLE MOUTH-FEEL AND A REFRESHINGLY LIGHT TASTE.
And what goes into their gin:
ALL GINS BEGIN WITH JUNIPER BERRIES AND BLUECOAT IS NO EXCEPTION. 
HOWEVER, BLUECOAT EXCLUSIVELY UTILIZES ORGANIC JUNIPER BERRIES WHICH TRANSMIT SPICY, EARTHY NOTES AS OPPOSED TO THE PUNGENT PINE-TREE FLAVORS OF REGULAR BERRIES. A PREMIUM BLEND OF ORGANIC AMERICAN CITRUS PEELS AND SPICES COMPLEMENTS THE RICH JUNIPER NOTES, GIVING BLUECOAT IT'S CLASSIC CITRUSY FINISH.
The citrus immediately jumps out at me. The gin has a pleasant lemony and citrusy feel that I find very different from other gins that I have tasted. I tried this gin neat with no refrigeration and it was very smooth going down without any kind of after taste or bitter kick. It was very delicious.

In terms of utilizing it in a cocktail, I decided to try something tried and true for me. I posted about this cocktail back on June 1, 2012 under the title of Who Is This Rickey Guy The Gin Rickey Is Named After. Ladies and Gentlemen I present you the The Gin Rickey. Here is the recipe that I used both then and now:
The Gin Rickey
1.5 oz. Gin
.5 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
Soda water
Lime wedge

Pour gin and lime juice into a glass over ice cubes. Fill with soda water and stir. Add the wedge of lime and serve.
I love how the lime juice blends with the Bluecoat gin. The soda water gives it another level with the effervescence that it brings to the cocktail. This is a very laid back and refreshing cocktail on the humid night that I find facing me at the moment.

I really have to say that I am impressed with Bluecoat. It will definitely be a go-to gin for in the same vein as Dorothy Parker American Gin and Hendricks Gin. The website has a number of cocktails that they recommend making with Bluecoat. Since I find that I am missing one ingredient or another, I am going to wait to make a few of these for later posts.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
SiscoVanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies

No comments:

Post a Comment