Friday, September 7, 2012

Baker's Bourbon at Harley's Smokeshack and Ribs

I was on my way to the Costco and Target located at the East River Plaza on 117th Street and remembered about a BBQ spot that I wanted to check out called Harley's Smokeshack & Ribs. Located at 355 E 116th St and First Avenue, Harley's seems to be the beginning of what I believe will be a renaissance of bars, lounges and restaurants that will undoubtedly transform El Barrio. Since I needed to gear up for my adventures in school supply shopping, I figured I could use a drink. So in I went.

After sitting at the bar and perusing the list of spirits available, I decided to have a Baker's neat with an ice water on the side. Why Baker's? I've never had one and if you've read my other post from bars that isn't the one I work in, I try to sample something that I have never sampled before and it's Bourbon Heritage Month so off I went to the land of bourbon.

According to the Original Small Batch Bourbon Collection website Baker's Bourbon is:
Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker's® Bourbon is seven-years-old and hand-bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker's Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in the family for over 60 years. This time tested yeast provides Baker's with a silky smooth texture and consistent taste from batch to batch
The Baker's has a clear amber color. At first scent the Baker's has a very appealing aroma. At first sip I find that it is strong but has a smooth taste to the lips. The tingling sensation goes away after the first sip. I notice that it has a very subtle sweetness to the tongue and is very smooth going down. It is not the least bit harsh and I don't find it very smoky.


It stands alone from let's say the sweeter Maker's Mark and the stronger and bolder Knob Creek. I would definitely have another one whenever I am back at Harley's. And speaking of Harley's.

The place smells divine: of meat and BBQ sauce. They have a small but decent tap selection with an extra large bottled beer selection including craft beers such as Maduro Brown Ale, Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager, Sea Dog Wild Blueberry, St. Louis Framboise Raspberry among others. They also have an extensive selection of Bourbons, Whiskeys and signature cocktails. Happy Hour is everyday from 12pm to 7pm.

If you are a carnivore AND a beer/bourbon/whiskey drinker: Harley's Smokeshack & Ribs is the place is for you. Now I want to go back.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

2 comments:

  1. That's good bourbon - but to do it justice you need a better glass than that shot glass. I find I end up carrying around my own glassware. A glencairn for a long time. Lately I carry a mini-glencairn called "The Perfect Dram". It's hard to find in the US. I got mine from England.

    Anyway - very exciting news about Harley's. I grew up with great urban soul BBQ in Oakland, CA called "Flints" (now sadly out of business). I used to work at a job that took me to Kansas City a lot and I fell in love with serious BBQ. I dragged my wife all over the deep South trying the regional variations. I love NYC, but there is dearth of serious BBQ here. It's gotten better in the last 10 years, but still has far to go. I'll man up and get up to Harley's one of these nights -even though that's a part of town I seldom venture into. Maybe I'll give you a call & we could meet there sometime & protect each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do you find that you get weird looks from the bar staff when you take out your own glass? I would assume that it is an interesting way to break the ice with a bartender and/or waiter/waitress.

      KC is a place that definitely has serious BBQ. Have yet to have the pleasure of going there. I agree on the dearth of BBQ here in NYC. Let me know, I'm more than willing to venture out for BBQ. You know of a place and I'll be your wingman. =)

      Delete