Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Nude-Tini Passion Fruit Cocktail

A few weeks ago Momma-San and I attended a fund raiser at the Bronx YMCA called "Bon Appétit at the Bronx YMCA". We attended the event with amazing company in the form of Charles and Elsie and sampled different food from many local restaurants. Now I was told that the event would have an open bar and I was hopefully looking to try out something new as I am prone to do. Well folks, to be honest, I was quite disappointed in the definition of what an open bar was at this event. They had wine and beer and a mixed cocktail that was called the Nude-Tini Passion Fruit Cocktail...and that was it. Imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I realized that there was no booze at this event aside from the above mentioned cocktail. Now, being as game as I am, I decided to try cocktail out.

Before I go into what I thought of the cocktail, allow me to show you the recipe and describe to you what went into the cocktail:
The Nude-Tini Passion Fruit Cocktail
2 parts XO Wine (Blanc)
1.5 part Nude Vodka
2 part Passion Fruit drink
Splash pineapple juice

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker over cube ice and garnish with a slice of pineapple and/or kiwi.
Alrighty then, you might be wondering what XO Wine (Blanc) is. As per the XO Wine (Blanc) website, the XO Wine (Blanc) is a blend of one-third 1.5 year old aged cognac to two-thirds of white wine that is aged for 5 years in an old cognac barrel. It is listed as "Great for Making Cocktails".

Nude Vodka is five times filtered over crushed volcanic lava rock and is made with ultra-clean Oregon Cascade Mountain spring water. Ok then. Enough of the hyperbole.

What did I think of it? Two words: DIABETIC OVERLOAD!!!!!

This cocktail is WAY too sweet. As you can see from the picture of Momma-San and I, the cocktail has a nice color to it but it is somewhat thick. I think the combination of the XO Wine (which is after taking a sip of it by itself sweet on its own) and the passion fruit (which is loaded with sugar) something that I definitely could not finish. Both Momma-San and I left our wine glasses half full which for those of you who know me know doesn't happen very often. I can't even talk about the vodka since I don't think that it made a difference in the cocktail. In my opinion, using well vodka wouldn't have made a difference. This cocktail is definitely a morning headache waiting to happen. I don't think that even substituting the Passion fruit juice with a Diet or low sugar alternative would change my mind about it. It is a cocktail that I would probably never try again.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment