Thursday, April 26, 2018

Thunderball (1965) Part II

In my prior post Thunderball (1965) Part I, I profile the Rum Collins cocktail that SPECTRE agent Emile Largo (Adolfo Celi) offers Bond at his estate Palmyra. For this post, I wanted to look at a few more instances where spirits were front and center in Thunderball including a look at a West Indian Rum from Trinidad.
Thunderball Look Down Tribute
by Peter Lorenz

Junkanoo is in full swing and Bond is captured the car that they are in is stuck in traffic. On comes one of the revelers with a bottle of Bacardi Superior that the reveler says is full of Firewater.

Since its a festive environment, the reveler puts the bottle in the window and graciously offers it to everyone. Friendly fellow isn't he?

Bond uses the bottle of Firewater not to wet his whistle but to make a break for it. True to its name, the firewater is spilled in the car and Bond uses the light that SPECTRE agent Fiona (Luciana Paluzzi) is using to light her cigarette. Whoosh, the liquid is aflame and Bond is on foot trying to escape through the Junkanoo.

Now while there is currently a cinnamon schnapps sold under the Fire Water brand, Firewater generally refers to a homemade distilled spirit such as a moonshine that is usually of a high proof. I like how the reveler tells Fiona that she should have a sip since it won't harm her. Especially since he is sweating bullets. Now you can say maybe its just hot, and it could be, but I can personally attest to how drinking Firewater can make you sweat bullets


Back in the mid 1990's (yes, way back when LOL) I was hanging in New Jersey when someone from the group I was with produced a gallon bottle full of a clear liquid. The hooch was passed around in plastic cups and me being me shot down in one gulp what was definitely a double shot of overproof homemade moonshine. Lets just say that it was the middle of February and for about three hours I was out in the elements without a coat because I was burning up due to the Firewater. LOL. Trust me Mr. Friendly Reveler, it can definitely harm you. But back to Bond.

Bond makes his escape to the Kiss Kiss Club. After he ducks into the men's room to clean up his wounded leg, naturally Bond saunters up to the bar. At the bar you can see a number of bottles including Cutty Sark Scotch Whiskey, Beefeater Gin and to Bond's right at his elbow is a bottle of Fernandes Vat 19 Trinidad Rum.


Fernandes Vat19 Rum is known as "The Spirit of Trinidad" and has the moniker "Liquid Sunshine" on many a label of the modern bottles. From what I gather, the Fernandes Distillers Ltd. was purchased by the Angostura some time during the 1970s and the Vat 19 brand was acquired by the William Grant and Sons in 2002.


According to the Fat Rum Pirate's post for Vat 19 Golden Rum:
The rum is aged before blending for 3 years. It is bottled at 37.5% (a lot of entry level rum’s are to make them slightly more afforadable). I doubt 2.5% ABV makes much difference at these levels.
To be honest, I have yet to get my hands on Vat 19 Rum. So I'll have to hold off on a review for now until I can get a bottle. Until then, here are two video from what looks like it is from the late 1980's for Fernandes Vat 19 Rum. Enjoy.





So I'm back doing the SiscoVanilla At The Movies post. I have some catching up to do. But I'm looking forward to seeing what booze references I can find in the flicks that we all love to watch.

Until Then Happy Drinking,

SiscoVanilla

#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaAtTheMovies
#SiscoVanillaAtTheBookstore
#SiscoVanillaisStepping

No comments:

Post a Comment