Thursday, December 13, 2012

Black Velvet Whisky Ads

My friend and fellow spirits blogger Josh of The Coopered Tot blogpage and I were discussing the Black Velvet Canadian Whisky brand after my blogpost The Gook and the Duke and Black Velvet Too. Josh was telling about how he remembers Black Velvet from his days of living in East Oakland and how he believes the brand doesn't get the proper respect it deserves due to as he says "1970s era "pimp" advertising". Now as someone who loves the advertising from the 1960's and 1970's, I was trying to find some of those ads online. Now I was unable to, but was able to find some of these from the late 1970's and 1980's which include such celebrities as the recently deceased Larry Hagman, Christie Brinkley and George Burns. Check out the collage I put together.


Josh was also kind enough to forward me a review that was done about Black Velvet entitled ROYAL VELVET (40% ALC./VOL.) by the website Canadian Whiskey in October 2010. They have a very informative history of the distillery that makes Black Velvet. I recommend you give it a read.

Thanks again to Josh of The Coopered Tot. Give his blogpage a read for some interesting whisky writing.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Sisco! Black Velvet ads definitely came in white and black versions. These ones are mighty white. The black ones of the early 70s included both white and black women and were defintely sexier! Surprising they aren't on the web, but they aren't. I checked too. I bet we can find them in back issues of magazines like Ebony, though.

    ReplyDelete