Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Cucumber Gimlet

I finally found a cocktail that I could use the Cucumbers that were left behind at the bar last week after a scavenger hunt/birthday party. In searching online for a cocktail containing Cucumber, I found a post on the TastefullyJulie blogpage. The cocktail she created is called the Cucumber Gimlet and it contains all fresh ingredients along with the Gin she chose to use: Bombay Sapphire. Now since I had every ingredient she used, I decided to follow her recipe to a "T" with one minor detour. I followed her method for making simple syrup. Instead of boiling the water, dissolving the sugar in the water and letting it sit until it cools down, she takes the sugar and cold water in a bottle and shakes it until mixed. It doesn't create a mixture that is as thick as traditional methods of making simple syrup but like her, I found that this method worked in terms of time. As per my routine, I substituted Splenda instead of the sugar in the simple syrup.

Here is her recipe:
Cucumber Gimlet
Recipe type: cocktail
Serves: 1-2

Ingredients
1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ounces fresh lime juice
2 ounces simple syrup
3 ounces gin of choice

Instructions
Muddle 8-10 pieces of the cucumber with the lime juice in a drink shaker.
Add simple syrup, gin, and ice.
Shake well, strain and serve.
I asked Momma-San what she thought of it and she said that she liked it but wasn't sure if someone who didn't like Cucumbers would like it since you can taste the Cucumber in it. Well, I'll debunk that statement since I don't particularly like Cucumbers but I like this cocktail. Upon first taste, I found it to be extremely smooth. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't have known there was any Gin in the cocktail let alone Bombay Sapphire. The Cucumber flavor is very subtle and blends perfectly with the lime juice and the simple syrup for a very sublime flavor. The cocktail is also very aromatic.

As you can tell from the picture, the cocktail is very elegant, simple and easy to make once you have everything prepped. This is definitely a go-to cocktail if you want to impress a certain special someone. ;)

Thanks to TastefullyJulie for the cocktail recipe and feel free to check out her site.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment