Saturday, December 1, 2012

Macallan 12-Year Single Malt Scotch Whisky

For today's post I've decided to go back to sampling a particular spirit as opposed to putting together a cocktail. In doing so, I've chosen to taste the Single Malt by Macallan known as the Macallan 12-year Scotch Whisky.

According to the Macallan website:

'Single' Malt Scotch Whisky is Scotch Whisky distilled at a single distillery entirely from malted barley. The Macallan Sherry Oak is exclusively matured for a minimum of 12 years in Spanish oak casks, handcrafted and sherry seasoned in Jerez, Spain. This delivers a classic Macallan style, wonderfully rich in colour with dried fruits, spice and chocolate orange. It has a rich gold colour with a scent of vanilla with a hint of ginger, dried fruits, sherry sweetness and wood smoke. To the palate it is deliciously smooth, rich dried fruits and sherry, balanced with wood smoke and spice. To the finish it has a sweet toffee and dried fruit taste with wood smoke and spice. 
I am somewhat ashamed to admit it but this is the first time I have ever tasted a single malt scotch whiskey. To be honest, I don't know much about the process of where Scotch is made aside from its origins laying in Scotland. From the Macallan website:
The definition of Single Malt Scotch Whisky regions has been much debated and changed since the 1784 Wash Act divided the country roughly into 'Highland' and 'Lowland' for tax purposes. It is now generally agreed that there are six Single Malt Scotch Whisky regions, each having its own distinctive style. The Macallan has been distilled in the Speyside region since 1824 at Craigellachie, in Moray where the Easter Elchies House sits proudly overlooking the river Spey and has been the spiritual home of The Macallan for over two centuries. This area, between the cities of Inverness and Aberdeen, sweeps from granite mountains down to fertile countryside and is universally acknowledged as the heartland of malt whisky distillation. Speyside Single Malts are noted in general for their elegance and complexity, and often a refined smokiness.
I chose to have the serving with two pieces of ice. I have to admit, this was damned smooth to both my nose and palate. I definitely picked up on the smoky flavor of the wood and some sweetness that I couldn't quite place even after reading the description on the website. I chalk that up to the amateur nature of the taster. =) It was very smooth to my tongue and down the throat. No burn whatsoever. I can definitely see myself enjoying some more of this 12-year old single malt during the cold days this winter.

Any recommendations on what kind of Single Malt I should look into next? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Until Then, Happy Drinking
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment