Friday, May 24, 2013

The Raspberry Collins

I was looking to make something that was light, fruity and refreshing without being super sweet and syrupy. The first thing that came to mind was a Collins type cocktail. On my upper cabinet shelf was a Raspberry infused vodka that had been sitting there for months just waiting to be cracked open. So I thought to myself why not make a Raspberry flavored Collins type cocktail. Here is how I decided to make it:
The Raspberry Collins
2oz of Raspberry Infused Vodka
1oz of Fresh Lemon Juice
.25oz of Simple Syrup
Maraschino Cherries for garnish
Seltzer Water or Club Soda to top

Build the vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup in an ice filled shaker. Shake until cold. Pour into a Collins glass with ice, top with Seltzer Water/Club Soda and gently stir. Add two cherries
As you can see from the picture the cocktail has a nice pink color to it. I gave this first cocktail to Momma-San to try it out for me. As I figured, the cocktail wasn't sweet enough for her liking, which means I would like it just fine. For her cocktail, I upped The Simple Syrup from .25 of an ounce to one full ounce. After that change, the cocktail was sweet enough for Momma-San. How did I find the original cocktail?

I found it to be tart and effervescent. The raspberry flavor is subtle. It was exactly what I was looking for on this humid Spring evening. I would actually bump up the simple syrup to half an ounce depending on whether I wanted a bit more sweetness to the cocktail. For my palate, one ounce of simple syrup is a too much on the sweetness factor. This is a cocktail that I can see myself enjoying on a regular basis this summer. I guess I need to start working on my next batch of Raspberry infused Vodka.

For my next post I tried to make something called The Sisco Vanilla Colin's which was made with a base of a Vanilla infused Rum that I have had chilling in the fridge for over a month. Did I find the same success with that cocktail as I did with he Raspberry Collins? You'll have to check not that post to find out.

Until Then Happy Drinking,

Sisco Vanilla


No comments:

Post a Comment