Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Stone Rose and The Jalapeño Margarita

Momma-San and I recently celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary and I decided to take her out for dinner and drinks. Since we met up at Columbus Circle, I decided to check out which bars are located in the Time Warner Center. I had never been in the Time Warner Center so I was curious to see what the building looks like on the inside. The bars and lounges are located in the upper floors and we decided on The Stone Rose Lounge.

The Stone Rose Lounge is a beautiful and laid back lounge that has an amazing view of Central Park and Columbus Circle. Though there were many tables surrounded by banquettes and love seats, we decided to find a seat at the bar. The wait wasn't too long. The back bar is quite simple and well lit with a diverse selection of spirits. The prices of the cocktails are reasonable at around the $16 dollar range. The spirits prices range from $14 for the more common spirits to over $100 for the more high end rare spirits. 

To start Momma-San ordered for herself a Strawberry Mojito while I ordered a cocktail named after the Stone Rose Lounge. The Mojito was made similarly to other mojitos. The rum used was Bacardi Límon.

This is what my cocktail contained:

The Stone Rose
Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Grand Marnier
White Cranberry Juice
Fresh Lime Juice 
Simple Syrup
Brandied Cherry

I found the cocktail to be very light. I didn't find it to be very strong or sweet. The Woodford Reserve kind of just sits in background. I believe that this is the kind of cocktail that would be a good starting point for the evening. Not surprisingly, Momma-San didn't like it. LOL.

Next I decided to have something a little bit spicier. For this one I chose a Jalapeño Margarita. Here are the contents of the cocktail:


Jalapeño Margarita
Excellia Silver Tequila
Cointreau
Fresh Lime Juice
Jalapeño

I found the cocktail to be zesty but not overpowering in heat. It was quite refreshing and not as cloyingly sweet as some Margaritas can be. It definitely was what I was looking for to counter the sublime nature of the Stone Rose Cocktail. Again, not surprisingly, Momma-San didn't like it. At least I don't have to worry about her drinking the cocktails that I order for myself.

I would definitely recommend a couple of cocktails at the Stone Rose Lounge either after work or before heading out to dinner or the theater. From what the bartender told me they have a nice rush after work and then a lull until the theater people from Lincoln Center come in. They also have decent hours:


Monday – Wednesday 12pm – 2am
Thursday – Saturday 12pm – 3am
Sunday 12pm – 12am

So if you are in the area, go on in and have yourself a cocktail...or three. Next on the blogpost is a cocktail called the Lucky Lychee that we had at Benihana's.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

1 comment:

  1. very nice indeed.. and to top it all off, I really like this picture of me.
    Love ya. BRH

    ReplyDelete