Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What is Moscatel Naranja

I was recently traveling along the information superhighway looking for things to write about (I've had a few too many days of some heavy duty drinking so I'm letting the body rest by doing some research). I came across the following picture and wondered what the heck Moscatel Naranja was/is.


After a few searches, I came across the blogsite Wine Spice++ Warren Edwardes on wine, food, travel, tech ++ and discovered that Moscatel Naranja is basically:
Incredible stuff. Basically Seville orange marmalade in a glass. Dunk your toast in it for breakfast or chilled anytime.

To make this Vino Naranja or Orange Wine, Seville orange peel are dried and macerated in distilled wine for two months.

This liqueur is added to sweet muscatel wine. Pale yellow, clean and brilliant. On the nose, flower and fruit with a dominance of oranges. In the mouth, it is smooth and fresh with a typical marmalade bitter backdrop that is both elegant and original.

This wine has a much bigger orange marmalade feel than other darker Vino Naranja wines made from dried grapes.

Excellent contrasting match with dark chocolate.
This vino naranja is 15% Alcohol per volume. So, anyone out there taste it? Let me know what you thought of it. I might need to hit a couple of the Spanish restaurants I know and see if they have it on the menu. I'll let you know what I think of it if I do find it.

On a side note, the author of the blogpage where I got the information for the Moscatel Naranja decided to dip Shortbread Soldiers in some Moscatel Naranja. Click this link Shortbread Soldiers in Moscatel Naranja to see what he thought of it.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

2 comments:

  1. Glad you picked up my blog posts on Moscatel Naranja. I love the wine. And nearly everybody who tastes it loves it too.

    But a word of warning is that these wines vary. The one I describe is like a bitter Seville Orange Marmalade and not like a sweet Orange Jam (Jelly).

    Oh since you are Sisco Vanilla have you tried the Spanish spirit - Licor 43 ? I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see there are differences. Now I need to go out an explore the nuances of the Moscatel Naranja variants.

    I have tried Licor 43. Been a while since I have. To be honest, not many bars in NYC carry it. I mention Licor 43 in a prior post El Morir Sonando a-la Francesa. Now you reminded me to go out and get some.

    Thanks,
    Sisco Vanilla

    ReplyDelete