Friday, February 14, 2014

The Pomegranate Cosmopolitan

Though I am not one to celebrate Valentine's Day, never let it be said that I won't exploit a corporate created "holiday" in order to make a cocktail. So just in for Valentine's Day, here is my Pomegranate Cosmopolitan.

I used the Pomegranate liqueur that I recently finished infusing in the following posts: Pomegranate Infused Liqueur Part I and Pomegranate Infused Liqueur Part II. I replaced the triple sec that is commonly found in a Cosmpolitan with something that I am using for the first time using the St. Germain Elderflower liqueur. Not sure what Elderflower Liqueur is? According to the article St. Germain Liqueur: What It Is, And What To Do With It from the Huffpost Taste website dated June 13, 2012:
The liqueur is made from elderflower, a small, white starry flower that blooms through the spring and summer...Saint Germain liqueur seems to bottle the taste of the these warm floral notes. Still produced in an artisanal manner, the liqueur is made from flowers that are gathered from the hillsides in the French Alps during a short four- to-six-week period in spring. According to the company's website, the picked flowers are bicycled to a collection depot (yep, bicycled) where they are immediately macerated to preserve the fresh flavors of the bloom. Extracting the flavors of this flower is not an easy process, and the Saint Germain company keeps theirs a family secret.
I also used Cosmopolitan ingredients Cranberry juice and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Here is the recipe that I came up with:
The Pomegranate Cosmopolitan
2oz. Homemade Pomegranate Liqueur
1oz. St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
1oz. Cranberry Juice
.5oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice

Build in ice filled coctkail shaker, shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
The cocktail has a nice reddish hue to it apropos for Valentine's Day. There is a nice blend of sweetness from the Pomegranate Liqueur and the St. Germain along with a tartness from the lemon and cranberry juices. I like how all the ingredients blend nicely in this cocktail. Normally I find that I would have to tweak a cocktail a bit to get the right proportions. Not so with this one. This one is just right. Not bad if I do say so myself.

Well, for those of you who are out there doing your Valentine's Day thing. Salud to you. Enjoy. Upcoming I have a number of movie posts to enlighten you gals and guys on, as well as some spirit tastings and brand new cocktails.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla
#siscovanilla
#siscovanillaatthemovies

No comments:

Post a Comment