Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It Was An Impromptu Sunday Night

Like the wise philosopher Forrest Gump was quoted as stating: Momma says Life is like a box of chocolates...you'll never know what your going to get. Sometimes I feel that way working at the Bleecker Street Bar. It seems to be even more like that when its Melvin and I working. Allow me to elaborate.

Sunday night October 14th started as planned with Game 1 of the NLCS between the San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals. Since 2010 we've become something of a San Francisco Giants bar thanks in part to Rhea and Justin to name a few. I mean we're nowhere in the league of Giants bars in NYC like Finnerty's but I think we do well for ourselves with the Gigantes fans. Though it was a tight game, the Giants lost Game 1 6-4 (as we all know today the Gigantes came back from a 3-1 deficit in the NLCS to earn a trip to the World Series against the Detroit Tigers). At the same time the Green Bay Packers were defeating the previously unbeaten Houston Texans. At this point we feel that the mass exodus was upon us and an empty bar would be staring us in the face. That true believers was not to be thanks to the crew from Dos Caminos.

Like most bar and restaurant crews (including Bleecker Street Bar's) getting everyone out at the same time is a rare event due to schedules and personal lives. But for some reason it seemed like the whole of The Dos crew (including friends) were out for a raucous night of Sunday Funday at the Bleecker Street Bar. One of the friends, a lovely lady named Jessica who is a fellow bartender was giving me tips on how to use the previously posted Domaine de Canton and Jack Honey in cocktails. I'll go into that aspect of the conversation a later time. But another drink that we spoke about was a simple but tasty cocktail that she ordered for her friend called a Malibu Margarita. I must have given her a weird look because she just laughed like someone who gets that look often when ordering that cocktail. She says I should make it exactly like a standard Margarita just substituting the Malibu Coconut Rum for the Tequila. Here is how I made it:
Malibu Margarita
2oz Malibu Coconut Rum
1oz Triple Sec
.5oz Sour Mix
.5oz Rose's Lime Juice

Build over ice and shake. Serve with a lime wedge.
I have to admit, that after taking a taste of the cocktail that it was very light and tasty. The sweetness of the Malibu and Triple Sec was balanced nicely by the tartness of the Lime juice and Sour Mix. I can only imagine how this cocktail would taste with fresher ingredients like homemade sweet and sour and agave nectar. It is definitely a drink that I will add to my list of must make cocktails when someone wants something light and sweet. Here are Melvin and the Mayor posing with a pair of Malibu Margaritas I made for them at the end of the night.


There's one added twist to the night that I have yet to mention. One of the lounges in the area has a jazz band that plays every Sunday night and after they're done, they come by the bar to unwind and play darts and have a few beers. On this day, all three members of the band show up and as they are playing darts, my friend Jaime notices that musical equipment by the jukebox. She asks me who's equipment that is and if they would mind playing some music. I direct her to where they were and after a few minutes to everyone's surprise they band set up and was throwing down a bad ass jazz set in the dart area at 3am in the morning for what has to be a first in the 20 years that Bleecker Street Bar has been open.


A good time was definitely had by all. What can we come up with for this weekend? Tune in to find out true believers.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment