Monday, October 8, 2012

The Neapolitan

One of the new spirits that I tasted last Tuesday at Bailey's was a flavored vodka by Three Olives Vodka. Now to the chagrin of many mixologists and alcohol purists, the explosion of flavored vodkas on to the market has brought about a tremendous amount of possibilities when it comes to making cocktails. Aside from Three Olives Vodka, Pinnacle Vodka and Van Gogh Vodka are two other companies that are making a wide variety of flavored vodkas. I do see where the mixologists who are anti-flavored vodkas are coming from, Bailey's also had the Three Olives Bubblegum flavored Vodka which smelled just like a chewed up square of Bubblelicious. But to be honest, I don't want to drink something that smells like that. But I digress.

So Pete serves us the Three Olives S'mores vodka. As per the Three Olives website, the S'mores is:
S'MORES: A mouth-watering blend of imported English vodka and chocolate, marshmallow and graham cracker.
At Christina's suggestion, we have it served on the rocks with a squeeze of a lemon wedge. After a quick stir, a took a taste of it and it was quite delicious. Both Christina and Myron remarked that it tasted like a chocolate biscotti. Once I looked at the selection of other flavored vodkas and liqueurs that were behind the bar, I was struck with an idea. Here is what I came up with:
The Neapolitan
1/3 Three Olives S'mores Vodka
1/3 Stoli Vanilla Vodka
1/3 Arrow Strawberry Liqueur
 
Build over ice in a shaker, shake vigorously and serve in a shot glass.
Optimally I would have preferred to having the shot be a bit creamier so a Chocolate liqueur such as Godiva would have probably better suited what I was looking for but the Three Olives S'mores gave the shot its own special flavor. The S'mores gave it a little saltniess that seemed to feel like the flavor that you would get from a cone. So in essence, the shot tasted like melted Neapolitan ice cream with the cone included. And for those of you who know me, I'm an ice cream fiend. So this shot was just what the doctor ordered.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla



No comments:

Post a Comment