Thursday, October 25, 2012

La Cucaracha Shot

Sometimes during my travels and adventures I come across the most weirdest of drinks. Here's the case of one such drink. I was out with Momma-San Tuesday night on the rare date night without the kids. Where I had the idea of going downtown to visit some bar friends of mine, my being tired from a long stretch of having worked 11 of 12 nights, I decided to stay local in the Bronx. We decided on Willie's Steakhouse on Westchester Avenue for drinks and food. My sister joined us a couple of hours later and we were having a good time doing shots. The gentleman sitting to my right saw that we were doing shots and asked if I had ever tried the Cucaracha shot. This peaked my interest.

Now I normally wouldn't do a shot like the Cucaracha shot but just like with the post on the Nutcracker, sometimes you have to just throw caution to the wind, try something new and live a little. So here I am revisiting Bacardi 151 as I did in the Flaming Dr. Pepper post. Here is how the shot is made:
La Cucaracha Shot
1oz Vodka
1oz Kahlua
Bacardi 151 float

Build in a shot glass. Float Bacardi 151 on top. Light with a match. Stick a straw down to the bottom (while still lit) and suck it up.

Now this can also be called a Flaming Black Russian since the two main ingredients of this shot are the ingredients that make up a Black Russian. So how was it? It tasted like a Black Russian. LOL. Sorry, it was quite tasty. Can't beat the coffee flavor of the Kahlua. I even add it to my coffee at work to give my joe a bit more of a coffee flavor. So I would definitely recommend it to someone who is daring.

But I had one question that no one at the bar seemed to know the answer to. Why is it called "La Cucaracha"? Any ideas?

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment