Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Five Dollar Shake

First off thanks to the Kahuna for the naming of this cocktail. I wish I had come up with it originally. This is a case of putting the wagon before the horse. How so? Allow me to elaborate.

The Kahuna was celebrating his centennial at the Bleecker Street Bar (his 100th consecutive check-in to the bar on Foursquare) and he wanted something "chocolatety". So I look at the bottles that we have and decided to make him something containing chocolate and milk. Something of a milkshake of sorts. Here is what I came up with:
The Five Dollar Shake
1.5oz Jim Beam Bourbon
1oz Dark Creme de Cacao
.5oz Cinnamon Schnapps
.5oz Milk

Build Over Ice, shake and pour over ice
I decided to use Jim Beam bourbon since I've decided to forgo the Vanilla vodka for a while. I also added the Cinnamon schnapps to add a little spice to the cocktail. As you can see, it isn't very thick. I would probably use half and half or heavy cream in order to thicken it up a bit. Ideally, ice cream and a blender would do the job in that regard but we don't have either one so this would have to do.

The Kahuna at first couldn't quite tell what was in the cocktail. It wasn't until I told him that there was Cinnamon schnapps that he started to taste it. The more he drank it, the more he said he could taste the cinnamon. I guess the schnapps settled to the bottom. The cocktail was actually quite tasty. Now for the name.


Pete came up with the name when he made the connection to the cocktail with the movie Pulp Fiction. Think back to the scene where Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) are at "Jack Rabbit Slims". Here is the dialogue:

Vincent Vega: Did you just order a five dollar shake?
Mrs. Mia Wallace: Ummhh.
Vincent Vega: That's a shake . . . that's milk and ice cream.
Mrs. Mia Wallace: Last I heard.
Vincent Vega: That's five dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothin'?
Buddy Holly: No.
Vincent Vega: Just checking.



Well Mr. Vega, my "shake" has bourbon in it and I hate to break it to you it doesn't cost five dollars. Seven to Eight dollars perhaps. ;) Some come on down daddy-o and have yourself one.

Until Then, Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

1 comment:

  1. This time decided to make it with half and half rather than milk and it gave me a cocktail that was indeed creamier and thicker than the earlier version that had milk. I would definitely use the half and half everytime over milk.

    ReplyDelete