Friday, June 8, 2012

Homemade Simple Syrup and Sweet and Sour Mix

In learning how to make drinks and finding tasty pairings, I'm trying to rely less on pre made mixers. For example, I could easily find Sweet and Sour mix at most supermarkets and definitely at the Liquor store. I could also find bottled Simple syrup at Crate and Barrel. I would assume that it tastes way too artificial and it's probably quite easy to make. In addition, when I make drinks at home I need to keep sugar content in mind since Momma-San is a diabetic and I tend not to use sugar in my coffee and teas. Keeping that in mind, I have started to make my own Simple Syrup and Sweet and Sour Mix.

For the Simple syrup, it is normally made by mixing equal parts of water and sugar. Going back to the non-sugar usage, I use the granulated Splenda as an alternative.
Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup granulated Splenda

Put water to boil, add Splenda. Stir to dissolve and let cool before placing in refrigerator
Quite easy. For the Sweet and Sour nix it takes a bit more work since it requires fresh lemon and line juices in addition to the simple syrup. Here is the scaled down recipe I used from the article THE ULTIMATE BAR: SWEET & SOUR MIX from Yumsugar.com:
Sweet and Sour Mix
1.5 cups of water
1.5 cups of granulated Splenda
1 cup of fresh lemon juice
1 cup of fresh lime juice

Put water to boil, add Splenda. Stir to dissolve and let cool. Stir syrup with lemon and lime juices. Refrigerate (or freeze) for later use.
I have to agree with one of the people who commented on the recipe page. The sweet and sour mix is delicious enough to drink on its own. Kind of like a Lemon-Limeade. I've seen that it will last for about a week or so, so make sure to freeze whatever parts you won't use right away. The mix begins to turn when it starts to get cloudy particles.

I hope to be using these mixtures more and more in the drinks I make at home and hope to compare them to those I make at work.

Until then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment