Monday, May 21, 2012

The Coupe de Ville Beer Cocktail

I came across this recipe at random while online yesterday on Chow.com. The Coupe de Ville seemed simple enough to make though the recipe called for six times the ingredients since it was to be made for a tailgate. I decided to scale it down for one person. Since it was Sunday and somewhat quiet at the bar I decided to do a little experimentation. I had Los Angelina native Dawn sitting at the bar so who better to taste test the drink for me. Here is the scaled down version of the recipe

Coupe de Ville
1oz. añejo tequila, chilled
1oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 4 medium limes), chilled
1oz. freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 2 medium oranges), chilled
.5 ounces orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier, chilled
1 12oz bottle of light Mexican beer, such as Dos Equis or Tecate, chilled

INSTRUCTIONS
Place all of the ingredients except the beer in a ice filled glass and stir to combine. Transfer to a chilled glass. Add the beer, stir gently to combine.
The cocktail was very easy to make. For the tequila, I used Sauza Commemorative Añejo and for the beer I used Corona (since it's the only Mexican beer we carry at the bar). For simplicity sake, I used bottles orange juice. I squeezed the lime juice myself.

The drink was quite smooth and a little "fizzy" from the beer. I like how the citrus plays off both the tequila and the beer in the drink. Giving you a little sweet, a little sour, a little tart all in one. It is also a pretty looking drink, especially in the Chimay goblet that I made it in.

Dawn made a few suggestions for the drink. She recommended that a little spicy aspect be added to it and possibly a rimming of the goblet with salt. And she said she would have preferred it with Pacifico beer over the Corona.

Why is it called a Coupe de Ville? Beats me. Maybe it invokes the images of those lowrider Coupe de Ville Cadillac automobiles that are often seen in movies and in car shows. Anyone know why?

Until then Happy Drinking,
FH

No comments:

Post a Comment