Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dragon's Blood...The Beginning

My friend Chuck "DragonBlack" has a Memorial Day custom where he and a few friends go away to a cabin in the woods for a weekend of movies, video games and unwinding. So about a month or so ago he was mentioning how he would like to take something to drink for the camping trip that would resemble his nom de plume. I started thinking to myself, what would "Dragon's Blood" resemble in the form of a drink.

I figured it had to be red and have a bit of a kick to it. I didn't want it to be a drink resembling a Bloody Mary. I mean who really wants to shoot a Bloody Mary shot. I would imagine that it would be too thick. I wanted it to be something light and with a hint of sweetness to it to balance out the spice the kick would give. So I whipped up something really quick containing Vodka, Hot Sauce, Tomato Juice, Orange Juice and freshly squeezed Lime Juice. I don't have any specific measurements since I was just winging it. But that initial shot worked out pretty well, enough so that I wanted to do something a bit more.

Since I am feeling confident in my fledgling infusing skills, I decided to infuse my own spicy vodka. Using some of the remaining New Amsterdam Vodka and two green jalapeño peppers I came up with the following. To avoid making it too spicy, I cleaned out the seeds. Half a day in and the aroma of the peppers is noticable in the vodka. I'll let it sit for about two days or so and see how it tastes like. I'll report back on it then.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment