Wednesday, May 16, 2012

OO7 Sisco Style

One of the most favorite drinks for Pete to make at the Bleecker Street Bar for those who want a mild mixed drink is the OO7. Here's the recipe for the drink.
OO7
2 oz. Vodka, orange
7-up
Orange Juice

Mixing Instructions
Fill highball glass with ice. Add vodka, then fill the glass 3/4 full with 7-up. Top with orange juice, stir slightly, and serve immediately.
Since I had that New Amsterdam vodka infusing with oranges since last week, I decided that this was a good enough drink to try it out in. I decided to take a bit of a different track with this drink.

I used two of the oranges that my dad brought over in the mason jar with the vodka. I decided to juice the remaining oranges (the kids were curious so they helped with the juicing) and put the juice in a large ziploc bag and froze it by laying it flat in the freezer. After a few days, I broke it apart in the bag giving me uneven pieces (You could also place the juice in an ice rack for uniform sized orange "ice" cubes). This is what I was left with:


But what about the orange flavored infused vodka you may ask? Ah yes, the vodka.

Well, after a week of infusing the vodka, I have to say that it most definitely has taken on the characteristics of the oranges. As you can see on the picture on the left, the vodka has taken on a yellow-orange hue and it smells more of oranges than the somewhat antiseptic smell of the New Amsterdam Vodka. Its funny how some companies use tag lines like "A Taste So Smooth You Can Drink It Straight" and it really isn't so. I would think that chilling the vodka would help to take the edginess off of it to be able to drink it straight.

Since there is no ice in the drink I'm going to make to take the edge off of the orange vodka, I'm going to chill the orange vodka before pouring it into the glass with the frozen orange juice as "ice". Then top it off with the 7-up.

Ok folks, here is the moment of truth. This is what my concoction looks like:


But how does it taste???? Surprisingly it's a quite refreshing and tasty cocktail. For a second opinion, Momma-San said she preferred this drink to the Limoncello Prosecco Cooler with Fruit Cubes. I guess the idea of chilling the alcohol before serving to take the edge off is quite accurate. The orange "ice" cube slowly melt further adding flavor to the drink while I slowly drank it. Plus small little pieces of orange pulp that got through the juicing would come apart from the frozen pieces of the orange juice adding an extra layer of texture to the drink.

All in all, I would say that in this case the OO7 Sisco Style is a success.

Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment