Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bacardi Coco aka Whatever Can You Mix With That

Inspiration comes in the most unexpected ways. An image, a song, a fleeting thought. In this situation it was a case of friendly trash talking. My buddy pal Kelli (who is an aficionado of the Bacardi Coco) inadvertently put me up to the challenge. In a random exchange she had stated that she liked to drink Bacardi Coco. And in that exchange she indirectly challenged me (or directly) by saying "It's Coconut Rum, Whatever u Can Mix That With, LOL =)" Well my dear, here is how I can mix it with. ;)

I looked at my ever growing stash of liquors and thought to myself what goes well with Coconut. The first thing that popped out to me was the Pineapple Vodka that I had infused and used in La Coquiña Linda post in June. Now what else goes with Coconut and Pineapple. Hmmm, somehow the image of a Coconut, Pineapple and Lemon flavored cake came into mind. Yummy. Since I was also challenged on how sweet the drink might be, I decided to make the following cocktail:
Don Coco Limón
2oz Bacardi Coco
2oz Infused Pineapple Vodka
4oz Minute Maid Light Lemonade

Build over ice and stir.
This cocktail is very tasty. The Coconut flavor pops while the lemon and pineapple flavors are very subtle and hang out in the background like the horn section in a merengue band. The drink itself isn't sweet in the least since I used the light lemonade.

For the next cocktail I decided to make a Tropical Punch of sorts. Luckily for me I have been stockpiling juices and liqueurs for just such an occasion. Here is my recipe for El Ponche Tropical
El Ponche Tropical
2oz Bacardi Coco
2oz 99 Bananas
3oz Goya Diet Tamarind Juice
3oz Goya Diet Mango Juice
3oz Goya Diet Guayaba (Guava) Juice

Build over Orange Juice Ice Cubes (I still had some left over from way back in the OO7 Sisco Style Recipe from May)
The banana and guayaba flavors seem to come out stronger than the coconut rum and the other juices though you can sense that they are there dancing the afternoon away. It really does invoke a feel of the caribbean, man (Sorry couldn't help that one). The flavors are all bopping to the soca beat. Can't you hear the steel drums playing in the background?

Now as the orange ice melts into the punch, it adds an extra level of flavor. The citrus of the Orange just jumps right into the now formed conga line that has developed with all the flavors. Here is what the original recipe for the punch looks like in a Martini or Cocktail glass.


Now, I'd be remiss to ignore the recipe for the original drink that started the conversation. Ms. Kelli likes to have herself some Bacardi Coco with Coke. Very straight and to the point. Here is her recipe for it:
Bacardi Coco and Coke
1.5oz of Bacardi Coco
Coke to Fill

Build over ice and fill with Coke.
I have to admit. The Bacardi Coco and Coke is 100x better with Coke than having it with let's say Malibu (though I do drink it with Diet Pepsi but whose keep track, right?). It just doesn't taste as synthetic and thick as the Malibu does. Thanks to you Ms. Kelli for finding another Bacardi to add to the stable of Bacardi Select, Black Razz and Oakheart to the Sisco Vanilla liquor cabinet.

Now go out and get yourselves some. Cause Sisco Said So.

Until Then, Happy Drinking
Sisco Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment