Thursday, August 16, 2012

National Rum Day With Mojitos

Since today is national Rum Appreciation Day I've decided to commemorate the day with a classic run cocktail: The Mojito.
Hemingway by Felipe Parucci

The Mojito is a Cuban based cocktail immortalized by American author Ernest Hemingway. Being a favorite drink of his while in Cuba, it is said that he drank his Mojitos while at La Bodeguita del Medio (The little grocery story or pub in the middle). So much so that he was quoted as stating:

"My mojito in La Bodeguita, My daiquiri in El Floridita."
Mojito
1.5oz Bacardi White Rum
1oz Fresh Lime Juice
2 Sprigs of Mint
2tsp of Splenda
Soda Water

Muddle the mint, splenda and lime juice in a glass. Fill the glass with ice and add the rum. Fill to the top with the Soda water. Stir slightly and serve.
Now please allow me some artistic license here. I used granulated Splenda rather than sugar. It works best for me with my plan of using less sugars and sweeteners in my cocktails. So given that disclosure we can move on.

Upon first taste, the sweetness of the Splenda and the herbal notes of the mint pop out. The rum slyly mingles with the fresh lime in the background as if they were dancing to a mambo or an old school salsa played by la Buena Vista Social Club. I can see how Hemingway could pass the day away in the sweltering Cuban heat knocking back the Mojitos at La Bodeguita.

I like how each flavor works together with the regular Bacardi silver. I sometimes find that the Bacardi silver's flavor rubs wrong against my palate. I guess that's why I prefer the darker Bacardi like the Select and the Ocho

I decided make a second one this time using the Bacardi Black Razz instead. Here is the recipe I used:
Black Razz Mojito
1.5oz White Rum
1oz Fresh Lime Juice
2 Sprigs of Mint
2tsp of Splenda
Soda Water

Muddle the mint, splenda and lime juice in a glass. Fill the glass with ice and add the rum. Fill to the top with the Soda water. Stir slightly and serve.
Now if you've read my posts in the past you know that I love the flavor that the Bacardi Black Razz brings to cocktails. And though this one tastes good, I just don't find that the Black Razz does anything to improve on the classic.

I guess the reason why original drinks are classic because they stand the test of time. Can't argue with Hemingway on this one.

Photo by Wolfgang Stock
Photo by Wolfgang Stock

Until Then, Happy Drinking
Sisco Vanilla

2 comments:

  1. I tried once, it has unique test. I liked it usually I drink fruit juice with Bacardi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the Black Razz having an interesting taste. As you can see from the Black 7 post (http://siscovanilla.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-black-7.html) I like to drink it with Diet 7-Up. I also enjoy it with Diet Cola.

    ReplyDelete