Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Southern Station Rum Punch

As I mentioned in my last post I spent a day in Boston last Wednesday, primarily at Fenway Park. I had one quick drink at the Cask'n Flagon before going into the game. At the game we had a number of different beers including the Narragansett Lager and of all things Mike Hard Lemonade. Hey it was wicked hot out there sitting in the 2nd row field level. LOL. The Mike's Hard Lemonade was actually quite refreshing in the Boston summer sun. Those were some awesome tickets. Thanks again to the Harpers for the tickets and for Momma-San for taking the day off so I could go. If you'd like to read more about my trip, click here and follow the links at the bottom of each post to read them in order: On The Way to Boston, Part I.

After my friends left the city and I did some souvenir shopping I decided to spend some relaxing time at Clarke's at South Station. As the name indicates, Clarke's is located inside of South Station which is where I was going to take the 9:30pm Amtrak train back to NYC. It is a nice bar which I would assume caters to commuters, business people and local workers coming to and from South Station. Their menu was simple but substantial chock full of bar food standards like wings and nachos plus burgers and salads. Their beer list was diverse lending attention to local brews such as Sam Adams and Harpoon. They also had an interesting cocktail menu. That's where I set my sights on.

The majority of the cocktails on their list seemed to fall on the sweet side. After I finished my perusal of the list, I decided on one called the Southern Station Rum Punch. One funny thing happened when I ordered the cocktail from the waitress. She asked me if I wanted that on the rocks instead of a cocktail glass. I'm not sure if that is a regular question that they ask. So I asked her if it was common that men ask for the cocktails on the rocks rather than in the cocktail glass. She gave me sly smile to indicate that it was so. I guess its common for dudes in Boston to not order their cocktails in a cocktail glass. Gentlemen, there is nothing wrong with having cocktails in a cocktail glass. It takes nothing away from your manliness. You'll look marvelous. LOL. Here is the drink as listed in the cocktail menu:
The Southern Station Rum Punch
Bacardi Razz
Bacardi Limon
Bacardi Coco
Cranberry
Pineapple Juice
The cocktail was very light and delicious. It was not very sweet surprising me since I saw the ingredients and thought to myself that this cocktail would shoot my sugar through the roof. It had a nice balance between the coco and the razz flavors. I can see how this can be a very deceptive cocktail due to its light and airy feel. A few of these can definitely knock you on your ass.

I highly recommend stopping by Clarke's at South Station if you ever want a cocktail or three =) before catching your train home from South Station. In my next post, I am going to profile the second cocktail that I had while at South Station The Double Espresso Martini.

Until Then Happy Drinking,
Sisco Vanilla



No comments:

Post a Comment